Many of you in the yahoo group are most likely already aware of this, but Lisa and I wanted to let our family and friends not on the group to know of the drought and famine conditions currently facing Ethiopia. Here are two links to CNN articles about it:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/05/21/ethiopia.hunger.ap/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/05/20/ethiopia.children/index.html
As you might imagine, we've been wondering if our baby has been born yet and how much this crisis might be affecting the baby and his or her birth family. This makes the situation very real to us, and we wish we could do something to change it -- not just for our child and his or her birth family but for everyone. Of course, the one thing we can do is pray, and we ask that you would join us in praying for Ethiopia and its people.
The lack of rain during the rainy season has caused a drought that affected this year's crops and is causing the famine. It has also affected hydro-electric power to the point where scheduled black-out times are in effect, and no power causes delays in the adoption process because emailing, faxing, court hearings and other things dependent on electricity cannot take place. So not only our wait but the wait of many other "expecting" families might increase. So we ask that you pray for all of us expecting from Ethiopia as we trust in God's timing.
I've been thinking a lot lately about the song "Mighty to Save" -- probably because we sang it at our annual conference meetings this past week. The chorus has just been playing again and again in my head; it says:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/05/20/ethiopia.children/index.html
As you might imagine, we've been wondering if our baby has been born yet and how much this crisis might be affecting the baby and his or her birth family. This makes the situation very real to us, and we wish we could do something to change it -- not just for our child and his or her birth family but for everyone. Of course, the one thing we can do is pray, and we ask that you would join us in praying for Ethiopia and its people.
The lack of rain during the rainy season has caused a drought that affected this year's crops and is causing the famine. It has also affected hydro-electric power to the point where scheduled black-out times are in effect, and no power causes delays in the adoption process because emailing, faxing, court hearings and other things dependent on electricity cannot take place. So not only our wait but the wait of many other "expecting" families might increase. So we ask that you pray for all of us expecting from Ethiopia as we trust in God's timing.
I've been thinking a lot lately about the song "Mighty to Save" -- probably because we sang it at our annual conference meetings this past week. The chorus has just been playing again and again in my head; it says:
Savior, he can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save; He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of salvation; He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave
My God is mighty to save; He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of salvation; He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave
These words have been such an encouragement to me lately, reminding me that nothing is too big for my God. I mean, the situation in Ethiopia -- he can change it. The prospect of waiting longer for our baby -- he can get us through . Trusting him as I wonder about my future -- he can give me peace. And he can do the same for you. He is mighty to save.
1 comment:
Hi Ray and Lisa! I haven't visited you before, but I was looking through "THE LIST" of DTE families and thought, "I should make sure I get to know the families that I could be traveling with!" So, here I am. It's nice to see your hearts in your blog. Congrats, Ray, on finishing school. I know Karl (also a pastor) started just taking a class a semester and during that crazy week (he does an intensive class), it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE. What a blessing to be done!
Blessings,
Danielle
Post a Comment