Sunday, November 2, 2008

We made it here!

We've arrived in Ethiopia!  One of our flights was delayed and we checked in with Ethiopian Air with a half an hour to spare!  The flight from DC to Rome to Ethiopia was very long and cramped.  Ray slept probably about 5 or 6 hours, but I only managed to get about 2 hours of sleep.  Hopefully that will mean I'll sleep well tonight and get right on track with the time change.  We got in to Ethiopia around 8pm here, but didn't leave the airport until around 10pm by the time we got our luggage and everything.  The drive to the hotel was dark and rainy, but I love this city already.  It reminds me in some ways of Costa Rica.  I can't wait to see it in the daylight.  We just got checked in to our hotel and unpacked a little.  Our room at the Addis View Hotel is amazing.  I thought we were going to be roughing it a bit, but we have a little livingroom, kitchenette, and a bedroom with a king sized bed.  We also have a little bassinet in our bedroom.  
 
Tomorrow afternoon we meet Jonas!!!!!!  I can't wait.  It is finally becoming real.  I'm running out of steam now, so I'm going to try to get some zzzzz's. 
 
We didn't bring our laptop because we heard we'd be able to upload some photos to the hotel's computer to share on our blog.  Unfortunately, it didn't read my camera.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

10 comments:

Kari said...

Hey Lisa,
We are SO EXCITED to hear you made it safely to Addis!! whooohooo
Can you believe you meet your sweet boy tomm...we'll you're sleeping sweetly right now (prayerfully) We can't wait to hear all about Meetcha Day!!!
Praying for you!
Kari:)

Anonymous said...

Hey guys...glad that you had safe travels. We'll continue to pray for you this week- we're looking forward to meeting Jonas soon!

Sherry said...

We are so excited that you have arrived! We are praying you get sweet sleep tonight. We can't wait to hear the details of your meeting your precious boy tomorrow!!!

Blessings - Sherry

Amber R said...

Oh I'm so glad you updated us to let us know you got there OK!! An email went out from the church office on Friday asking for prayer because you guys were delayed in Newark. So you've had a lot of prayers and we all can't wait to meet Jonas and hear all about your trip!

Anonymous said...

yay! you updated! this is so exciting! i'm so glad i decided to check this randomly before bed. everyone at live this morning was a little worried to hear about the delay you guys went through so nate led us all in prayer for you-and oh my gosh let me tell you now that these kids are busting at the seams for updates, photos, ANYTHING jonas! i'm definitely looking forward to the pictures (hopefully technology cooperates) but most of all i cannot wait to hear about you guys meeting jonas for the first time. you might even be meeting him right now with the time difference! :] i'll be checking this religiously over the next 24 hours for any sort of update..i love you guys!

Rebecca Caldwell said...

Yay Hammond Family!! You made it!! Can't wait to hear all about your big day!

Jori said...

So glad you made it safe and sound - you have by now even met your little Jonas!!! Congrats!! Be safe
love, jori

beBOLDjen said...

We're so excited for you! Can't wait to hear more!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey we are so happy for you and we can't wait to see you all back home. And Josh can't wait to play with his younger cousin. :)
Praying for you!!
Mike, Melanie & Josh

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about not being able to send pictures, just describe his every detail with gushing adoration :)