Friday, January 23, 2009

Soooooo Big!


Jonas turned 10 months old yesterday. He's getting so big already. Not that he needed to, but he's gained 4 pounds since mid-November! He's completely grown out of his 6-9 month clothes and some of his 12 month clothes are getting a little snug around the middle. He still has plenty of room length-wise though. I have to fold up the arms of most of his shirt sleeves up so they don't cover his hands!

This picture was taken in his bathrobe (that's really too small). I love how it shows off his chubby legs.


We were watching an afternoon Steelers game a few weeks ago. The Steelers scored and Ray threw his hands in the air and yelled "Touchdown!" Jonas looked startled for a minute and then laughed and threw his little hands in the air and yelled something like "Ah dee dah!" We can usually get him to do it again by saying "Touchdown", but one arm raised was the best we could get for a picture. :)


He is such a happy and funny baby. He gives us slobbery kisses all the time. One of his favorite things to do is to kiss Ray's cheek and then reach for me and kiss my cheek. He'll go back and forth giving mommy and daddy kisses for a few minutes. I think he is teething again because he is chewing and biting anything and everything he can get his hands on. So sometimes lately his kisses end with a "love" bite. Ouch. He still loves his hands and is always waving or clapping them. We think he might be a natural drummer. He can entertain himself forever by just tapping his hands on a table or drum. His favorite toys are two toy drums that play music when he hits them. Once the music starts he bops his upper body up and down and dances to the beat.

He's still not sleeping any better. Sometimes when I'm rocking him in the middle of the night I think about the fact that we're his fourth home in his little life. I think about how, out of love and desperate circumstances, he was abandoned by his first family and I wonder how long he laid there alone in the city before he was found. I wonder if he fell asleep in the arms of his birth mother and woke up in the arms of a police officer. I wonder if he can comprehend that we're his forever family, and not just another stop along the way of caregivers in his life. When I think about these things, no matter how tired I am, or how hopeless I feel about his sleep (or whether we'll ever sleep again) I hug him a little bit tighter and hold him a little bit longer. I feel convicted again that no matter how many times he wakes up, we will go to him. We will let him know that we're here for him anytime he needs us. We will draw on God's strength, endure sleepless nights, and marvel in the wonder of the fact that God has given us such a beautiful, silly, demonstrative baby boy as our very own son.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've followed your blog for several months now as my husband and I have awaited our referral (Ethiopia). Our prayers were answered last week for a 7 week old beautiful baby boy! I just wanted to say how much your recent blog entry spoke to me. I am so aware of the fact that by the time our little one reaches our arms he will have suffered three major losses in his life in a very short period of time (birth mother, orphange care givers, TH nannies). This weighs so heavy on my heart and I only hope we will be able to make up for all that he's been through. Thank you for sharing.

(PS On a MUCH lighter note...Here we go Steelers, here we go! Yes, you can take the girl out of the 'burgh, but you can't take the 'burgh out of the girl.)

Andy and Lyndsay said...

Andy says "Ah-dee-dah" is "touchdown" in Ethiopian :) Your blog made me laugh out loud a couple times and I smiled the entire time I read it. Such a miracle it is to see him in your arms! Coming down for the Steelers game? :) Miss you guys!

Nunez Family said...

Oh my gosh...he is soooo big boy!!!
I love all those curls on the top of his head:) Miss you guys!

tclaughner said...

Great picture of Jonas in the Steelers jersey. Getting him started early! Good for you (and him!).