Friday, July 24, 2009

Referral-versary!

1 year ago- Jonas Ekra at 4 months old (referral pictures)





One year ago today we received the referral of a chubby-cheeked 4 month old baby boy named Ekra. It was one of the best days of our lives. I remember just staring at the four pictures we had of him for days and days. I even put his picture on my nightstand so that I could look at him in the middle of the night if I woke up and forgot what he looked like! :) We used to try to figure out what his personality was like through the pictures. We decided he must be a quiet and serious little guy who loved to sleep. Ha! We couldn't have been more wrong! :) Over the next 3 1/2 months that we were apart, we thought about him constantly, prayed for him constantly, and grew more and more in love with him.

Life for the Hammond family has changed in so many ways in the past year! Now I don't have to wonder what Jonas is doing (other than wondering what kind of trouble he's finding when he goes into another room and gets quiet!). I don't have to wonder if he is sick or well, happy or sad. He makes his emotions VERY evident to us. :) I don't have to stare at his picture to try to imagine his personality. Although, I do sometimes have to fight the urge to sneak into his room to stare at him while he's sleeping, in awe of the fact that I get to be the one to be his mommy. I am convinced that parenting is THE toughest job on the planet. It requires me to have an endless supply of energy even when I feel like I want to sleep all day. It requires patience that I sometimes don't want to give, and it requires wisdom that I don't feel I have. Thankfully, God is more than willing to supply what I lack and to help me to be the best mom that I can be. I pray that I will be the mom that Jonas deserves, and that I will be continually growing so that I can guide him and raise him up in the way that he should go. I pray that I will be an example to Jonas of what a relationship with a living and loving God looks like. Most of all, I pray that Christ's love will be evident in my life and that God will help me to parent Jonas the way that he parents me- with endless patience and unconditional love.

Parenting is the toughest job I've ever had, but also the most rewarding and delightful job I've ever had. I'm so honored and humbled that God chose me to be the mom of Jonas Ekra. Today I am celebrating the anniversary of the day I first laid eyes on my baby boy and I praise the One who brought us together as a family!

Jonas now- 16 months old and at home

4 comments:

Anna said...

Such a wonderful post! Praising God with you for Jonas!!! I have been saying the same thing about parenting - the hardest and most rewarding job! So glad God gave it to us!

Rebecca Caldwell said...

Wow!! Already one year! I can remember being so excited when I found out that you guys had received your referral because I knew ours was coming soon ;) Congrats!!!!

Andy and Lyndsay said...

Super cute post, Lisa! Love reminscing on the old photos and the happy happy picture of Jonas now. I'm also glad that he's sleeping in his own room now :)

beBOLDjen said...

He's so BIG. Congrats!!