Sunday, July 5, 2009

An Update and Some Big News






It seems like it's been awhile since I've blogged about what we're up to here! Jonas is 15 months old now, and he's been with us for 8 months. He's developed a fake laugh that he likes to use when he's trying to be silly and wants us to laugh at him. He likes to make silly faces and then do his fake laugh. He's such an expressive and funny kid! He started walking a few weeks ago, and is constantly on the run now. If he sees something he wants to get into when we're carrying him he will tell us, "down, down". He becomes very insistent if we don't let him down right away. With all this new freedom he's been testing his boundaries and is having trouble listening! He keeps us busy!! He loves to get out of the house and "go" anywhere we take him. In the morning he will often start pointing to the door saying "go, go, go". He doesn't care if we stay in our own yard, go to a playground, go grocery shopping, visit people, or whatever else we might do, as long as we get out of the house. I don't blame him, but sometimes it's hard to think of things to go do! The other day Ray was at the church preparing a sermon when Jonas woke up from his nap. Jonas said "go" and I asked him where he wanted to go. He thought for a second and said "daddy!". So, we drove to the church to visit daddy. :)

As much as he loves to be on the go, he also loves to cuddle. He's always given lots of kisses, but he also loves to gives hugs now. I love that!

Finally, the great news is that he decided about a week and a half ago that he would start sleeping through the night in his own room! One night he was sleeping in our bed and waking up 2-3 times a night (on a good night), and the next night he just decided to sleep in his room until 5am. At 5am we brought him into our room and he slept until 8am. He's had about 3 nights since then that he didn't sleep through the night, but I feel like we're making major progress. I think it helps that we've finally found a teddy bear that he likes (thank you Aunt Deb and Uncle Jon!). I'm hoping and praying that his sleep will continue to improve and that it will become more consistent as he gets a little older. Right now he's sleeping in the pack n' play in his room because his crib is attached to our bed. I'm going to give him another week of sleeping and then detach the crib from our bed and put it back in his room.

The fact he is learning to sleep better has come at a good time because..... I'M PREGNANT! I'm in my 12th week and my due date is 1/15/10. We were quite surprised and initially a little overwhelmed at the thought of having 2 kids less than 2 years apart. But we are excited. I can't believe Jonas is going to be a big brother! He still seems so little. Every night when we pray with him we ask God to help him to get ready for the big transition that is coming. On a side note, people often told us that we would get pregnant and "have one of our own" after adopting. I just want to clarify that Jonas is our own child, and this next child will be the second one of our own!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! lots is going on?! how very exciting - 2 babies! we'll be keeping all 4 of you in our thoughts and prayers, especialy Jonas, as he gets ready to be a Big Brother, and like you said, goes through another big change in his life. if it makes you feel better - Kaia is still not sleeping through the night, sometimes we'll get a good one, but most of the time she still wakes up. too bad we don't live closer, i'm sure the 2 of them would get along great! contrats, again on baby #2!

Andy and Lyndsay said...

Here's my reaction (said outloud even tho I'm alone):
WHAT?!?!
That's AWESOME!!! I am so happy for you guys! It gave me goosebumps to read it! (I read that paragraph twice!) God is SOO good! I will be praying for you all :)

Karen said...

Congratulations on the soon-to-be newest addition to your beautiful family! with love, Karen Wistrom