Saturday, March 22, 2008

Wowzers

Well, studies are going okay. I'm just about ready to finish off another paper, and so far my new schedule has been working well. I've only got about six weeks of classes left, and then I graduate on May 24th!!!!! I'm sure they'll hear Lisa rejoicing all the way in Addis Ababa! lol

But this blog isn't about my progress in completing my MDiv. It's about our journey to adopt our first child, and, wow, do we have a big part of that story to share!

About a week ago I was leaving the office when Anita, one of my co-workers and closest friends, said, "Hey, Ray. Someone stopped by and put something in your mailbox." So I went over to my box and saw a white envelope.

Whoever dropped it off had typed "To: Mr. Raymond and Lisa Hammond" on a computer, printed it, cut it out and taped it to the envelope. I held it up to the light and could see the outline of a bill but couldn't tell the denomination. Thanking Anita for letting me know, I put it in my pocket and went home.

After pulling into the driveway and parking the car, I entered the house, greeted Lisa and said, "I think someone gave us some money for the adoption," and proceeded to tell her about the envelope. She was as curious as I was about it, so she told me to open it.

I opened the envelope and stopped, staring inside it. My hands began to tremble a bit and tears came to my eyes. Lisa, who was standing a few feet from me washing dishes, said, "What is it?" "It's a stack of hundreds," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. She started to cry and came over to where I was standing. I began counting and realized that someone had just given us $1,000. I was speechless. There was nothing inside to indicate who had been so generous to us. Only another computer generated, cut-out message that simply said, "Hope this helps with the adoption. God bless!"

God bless indeed! We knew from the start of this journey that God was going to provide for us as only he can when it came to financing the adoption. We have been saving and doing our part, but we knew that God would have to make up the difference. He has been providing for us since day one of our marriage almost seven years ago, and we have never doubted his provision. But this latest time blew us both away. He is so good; in fact, his goodness and steadfast love is so great that we can only struggle to find adequate words to express it. Yet despite our inability to adequately verbalize it, we shout our praise out to him, for there is no god like our God. None compare to him. He is the one who said, "I am the first and the last; apart from me there is no God," (Isa. 44:6b).

9 comments:

alisa said...

He truly does 'own the cattle on a thousand hills'...I praise God he is affirming his involvement in your AND your child(ren)'s life.
Blessings- Alisa
www.vinceandalisa.blogspot.com

Rebecca Caldwell said...

Guys! That is so awesome! Praise God for his faithfulness!

Meagan Brown said...

I love this story! What a faith builder it is when we see God answer our prayers and show His provision in such unexpected ways. Yeah God!
- meagan

Anonymous said...

Wow! God is truly Awesome and Faithful!! Our family has seen God's provision our whole lives, but especially these past few months since Dad's accident. Each time we are speachless and then reminded of the Great God we serve. Blessings to you both! Tammy & Nate

beBOLDjen said...

Priase God for His wonderful works and for those who are willing to do what He asks of them!! When we were getting married the same thing happened to us (we were oh so young and broke) and I always thank the Lord that the gift wasn't really the money but the lesson of generosity and how our soverign God uses His resources in such mysterious ways sometimes. Ever since that gift we have always felt a calling in our lives to be generous givers.

Just another confirmation that God is smiling on your family and making things happen! ;)

K.P. said...

This happened to us too. What an awesome and humbling feeling. It really makes you feel loved and you know your little one will be loved too. Congrats!
Kathleen
(YG)

Jori said...

What a great blessing! God is so GOOD!
Blessings, Jori WFR 02/19 either x2

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! What a great testimony of God our provider.

Tammy said...

I am just reading your blog for the first time and this post brought tears to my eyes. That is awesome!