Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One Month

Today is the one month anniversary of meeting Jonas.  I can't believe it's been a month already, but at the same time, it seems like we've been a family forever.  A month ago today we were completely in love with a little boy that we didn't know at all.  There were times that first week that I felt like an imposter mommy because I didn't know his likes or dislikes, his routines, or what he wanted when he cried.  Now I know him.  I know when he's tired, when he's hungry, and when he's bored.  I know what makes him laugh, his favorite toys, the faces he makes, the way he likes to fall asleep, and the sounds he likes to imitate.  I know I'm his mommy.  A month ago today two strangers walked into Jonas' life and changed his whole world.  I'm sure there were times that first week that Jonas wondered who we were and if he could trust us.  Now he knows us.  He knows the games we play with him, the way we change him and feed him, and the ways we comfort him when he's upset.  He prefers us over anyone else.  He knows that we're his mommy and daddy.  

I mentioned in an earlier post that we found out something about his Ethiopian name, Ekra.  A few Ethiopians that we talked to on the way home from Ethiopia said that Ekra is an unusual name.  They said it sounded Arabic or Muslim to them, not Ethiopian.  I was puzzled at that because he was named by the Christian orphanage where he was first placed.  I figured there must be some story behind it that I would never know.  We mentioned that to my father-in-law, who decided to do some research on the name.  He said that Ekra is either Hebrew or from the Hebrew and it's found in Psalm 27:7.  

Hear my voice when I call, Lord; be merciful to me and answer me.  Psalm 27:7

"When I call" is Ekra.  It gives me goosebumps to think that I called out to God for a child, and he mercifully answered me with a son named "when I call".  We've found two Hebrew meanings for the name Jonas.  One is Gift From God, and the other is He Accomplishes.  So, Jonas Ekra is either "Gift from God when I call" or "He accomplishes when I call".  Either way it's a reminder of God's great love and faithfulness, and his amazing plan in joining us together as a family.

2 comments:

beBOLDjen said...

COngrats on your one month anniversary!

What a testimony! WOW God is good. Ekra has such an awesome meaning!

I am curions where you founf that info about the meaning for Jonas, as all my research has only brought is that it means "Dove" I'd love to research that for our Jonas :)

Merry Christmas! (I know I'm getting an early start)

Nunez Family said...

Praise God that you were able to find meaning to his name..I know that meant a lot to you:) And wow, what a meaning...He really did here your cry:)
He looks so happy in all your pics & it looks so natrual that he is your baby! We miss you guys and pray that you are being extremly blesses this Christmas!
Ana Nunez