Sunday, May 16, 2010

Life Lessons From a Two Year Old


1) When all else fails, real empathy is being willing to sit down with someone in their pain. A few weeks ago the nursery director at our church told us a little story about Jonas. Jonas got to the nursery late that day, and before he got there a little boy had started to cry. The adults in the room tried to console him, distract him, engage him in an activity, etc, but he could not be comforted. He just sat himself in the corner and cried. The other children in the room tried to stay away from him, and the adults finally just left him alone. The nursery director said that as soon as Jonas arrived in the nursery he noticed the little boy crying in the corner. She said he walked right over to him and started talking to him. When the little boy ignored him he laid down next to him and started patting his back. He stayed with him there, laying next to him and rubbing his back, until the little boy stopped crying and got up to play with Jonas. I can't tell you how much it touched my heart to hear about my son's compassion and empathy toward this little boy. I like to think that I am compassionate and empathetic, but sometimes I am like those other kids and adults in the nursery. I'm not sure how to offer comfort, and I convince myself that the person probably doesn't want me around anyway. But Jonas reminded me of the difference between pity and compassion, and between sympathy and empathy.

2) Stop and enjoy the beauty of the journey. Taking a walk with Jonas can be annoying if you want to go somewhere quickly. If I let Jonas get out of his stroller to walk, it will take us FOREVER to get where we are going. He likes to stop and look at everything. I can let myself get impatient, or I can try to see the world through his eyes. When I do that, every stick and dandelion is a treasure, and where we are going isn't as important as how we get there.

3) Tell the people you care about how much you love them. Jonas has recently learned how to say "I love you". The other day, he was sitting next to me and I had Ava on my lap. Out of nowhere he threw his arms around Ava in a hug and yelled, "Baby, I love you!!".


I love watching my little boy grow up!

1 comment:

Andy and Lyndsay said...

SUPER cute photos and stories! Jonas is so little and already acting like Jesus! Beautiful!!!